Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Killdeer Revisited at Point Pinos Light

We went back again to Point Pinos to see if we could see the Killdeer family we saw about a week ago. From the same vantage point I could see one Killdeer grooming in the morning sun so I decided to approach behind a large log to get a better shot. As soon as I got in position, the Killdeer came towards me (luckily) and I got a few good shots with him about 20 feet away.
It was an interesting day as the commercial fishing fleet had moved from the Lover's Point area to the very rocky area protected by the lighthouse. First a shot of the lighthouse to set the scene.
The Monterey Bay shoreline is one of the most beautiful in California. The Ocean Drive runs along the shore in this location and we see a constant stream of tour buses that slowly move along the road, taking in the breathtaking scenery.

The fishing fleet was just offshore this morning on their quest for squid. These boats were already scooping up the squid in their nets.
The first Killdeer we saw was grooming himself in the thick ground cover in this location. Although I was quite far away at first, he seemed to be watching me carefully. Note the invasive non-native ground cover.

As I approached the Killdeer, hiding behind a large log on the beach, he came towards me and I got some really good poses. These from about 20 feet away and are cropped a bit.


Then my luck continued as I saw another Killdeer right in front of the log - this one perhaps on a nest (so I'll call her "she"). She didn't move other than moving her head slightly as she watched me very carefully from about 10 feet away.

I watched both Killdeer while being ignored by them - but they were watching me carefully. Maybe we will be fortunate to have another chick running around in the days ahead. We will keep checking on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment